What does a greenhouse do in the middle of a cold, white winter? Most simply close their doors until spring. But this year, TERRA Greenhouses in Burlington decided to try something different and hit a home run with the TERRA at Home Winter Market.
Their success was evident as soon as I pulled into a parking lot teeming with cars. As we walked towards the entrance, two food trucks served lineups of hungry market goers (including everyone’s favourite, Gorilla Cheese).
The Winter Market is heated — and entirely glass-enclosed — making an ideal respite from the cold weather. Each week, an impressive variety of over twenty local businesses and farms come together creating a bright and fun atmosphere surrounded by tropical plants.
The market promotes baked goods, produce and meats from neighbouring farms and also hosts a number of unique artisans. By supporting local businesses and farms, TERRA hopes to increase healthy lifestyles by providing the community with a necessary connection to local food producers over the winter months.
In this video, we meet just a few of the many vendors and get to know what makes each of them unique.
The Winter Market also provides social opportunities for people to connect with neighbours and friends outside of home.
The vendors on the day we visited included:
- Dyment Farm – Homemade pies and sweets fresh from the farm.
- Smokeville (from Oakville) – The best smoked stuff you will ever eat!
- Perfectly Natural – Products made with fair-trade, responsibly harvested and renewable ingredients.
- The Little Truffle Maker – Delicious homemade truffles containing only 3 ingredients: Semi Sweet Chocolate, Cream and Real Liqueur.
- Terra Teas – The finest premium luxury Loose Leaf Teas grown on Mother Earth.
- Cherry Lane – Providing tart cherries, tart cherry juice concentrate, and a variety of other fruit products for over 100 years.
- Manual Labour Coffee – Serving the best quality coffee sourced from around the globe and roasted locally.
- Sweet Potato Johnny – Johnny’s specialty is sweet potato veggie burgers as well as many other sweet potato creations.
- Itty Bitty Pie Company – Offering six different flavours of sweet mini-pies each week plus frozen savoury pies too!
- Purple Daze Lavender – Quality Ontario lavender for every occasion.
- Crafty Owl – Heart + soul + sweat + tears = handmade. for you, by craftyowl.
- Lauray Farms – Offering a wide variety of home grown fruit and vegetables, as well as honey, preserves, meat and eggs.
- Kettle Corn Boss – Kettle corn made in small batches, using only the finest quality ingredients…with no preservatives.
- Pies n’ Such – All types of homemade pies (and other baked goods too) for events, dinner parties or family meals.
- Cupcakes of Westdale – Cupcakes baked in small batches daily to ensure quality and freshness — using only the finest ingredients.
- Wandering Locavore – Bringing gourmet food to you, specializing in Ontario Artisan Cheese, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and products made with olive oil.
- Epicure Selections – Committed to doing good by providing great food and by giving back to Canadians and their communities.
- Tasty Cups Café – Cupcakes made with loving care including options that are gluten friendly, nut friendly, vegan friendly or any combination.
- Lovin Oven Bakery – Featuring a wide variety of baked goods including custard slices, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and swiss rolls.
- Ann Brown – Fresh local produce
The Winter Market runs only until March 23. After that, you’ll need to wait until the Farmer’s Market at the Burlington Mall resumes in May for your farm fresh favourites.
You can find TERRA on the North side of Dundas Street (Hwy #5) between Guelph Line & Brant Street. Here’s a map: http://goo.gl/maps/8Q4bt