A new adventure begins! Or, rather, a journey of 100 different adventures in Burlington over the coming year. Appropriately enough, our first event was the annual New Year’s Day Celebration at Tansley Woods Community Centre.
Presented by the City of Burlington Events team, this party has become an annual tradition for our family. And this year’s edition was the best yet!
In celebration of the new year, 2013, here are 13 highlights from the day:
- Door prizes for everyone! Upon arrival, kids got to choose from a variety of party favours branded with the New Year’s event logo.
- A fun photo booth provided attendees the opportunity to show their silly side. A free 4×6 instant print and digital download were given to participants.
- Spaced Out! presented by Fizzical Fizzicks was one of two science shows that, for us, were the highlight of the day. Both presentations were entertaining and educational for adults and kids alike — an impressive feat. Spaced Out! surprised me with its depiction of how big our sun is (represented by a huge inflatable) compared to Earth (represented by a tiny ball).
- Dr. Dee Enay from Mad Science helped us “crank up our craniums” by demonstrating scientific concepts with plungers and toilet paper!
- A kid-sized hovercraft was created using a leaf blower. Will was thrilled to be selected from the audience to go for a ride. At the end of the good doctor’s presentation, she offered to give every child in the audience a brief whirl (an offer that was accepted by dozens of kids)!
- Face painting
- Balloon animals
- Wii gaming lounge
- Mini golf putt putt challenge
- Soccer skills workshop
- Alien slime station
- Crafts, and
- Free swimming — the biggest treat of all — thanks to Tender Choice Foods.
Hats off to the Burlington Events staff for planning activities for every member of the family to enjoy.
Here’s to you in 2013 Burlington! And here’s to 99 more funtastic adventures to be had in Burlington this new year.